June 2, 2020
Contact: Steve Wilson
Wilmette Park District
We are pleased to announce that Gillson Beach is open for the 2020 season. The water is open and patrons may swim at their own risk. Starting June 6, lifeguards will be on duty at the swimming beach.
We have some additional details – PLEASE SEE BELOW.
In an effort to maintain the health and safety of our community and staff, we have adjusted the rules and procedures of Gillson Beach during the pandemic. Please read below to familiarize yourself with these new regulations.
FOR THE ENTIRE 2020 BEACH SEASON:
- Beach Hours: Daily, 9 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Access to the beach and parking lot will be limited to beach season pass and season parking decal holders only
- Season Passes and Parking Decals must be purchased online
- Season passes and parking decals require a 48-hour processing period before activation – please plan accordingly
- Beach season pass ID cards and season parking decals will be available for pick up at the Beach House, and can be picked up 48 hours after purchasing during business hours, from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- No transactions will be processed at the beach.
- Concessions and water fountains will be closed – please bring a water bottle.
- There will be a single-use restroom open to the public.
- No food is allowed on the beach.
- We are not offering guest books for the 2020 Season.
- We are not offering rentals at the sailing beach for the 2020 Season.
- Beach/Pool Combo Passes purchased on or before May 20 will be honored throughout the 2020 Season.
- Beach/Pool Combo Pass sales are no longer available.
TEMPORARY MEASURES CURRENTLY IN PLACE:
- Water is open and patrons may swim at their own risk. Lifeguards will be on duty starting June 6 at 9 a.m. Patrons are expected to stay within the designated swim area. Please use caution and adhere to any warning signs.
- Attendees are expected to practice social distancing and safety measures at all times.
- Limit same-household congregations to groups of 10 or less
- Until June 1, shelter access is first come first served. No grills are available and no reservations will be taken.
- Staff will be closely monitoring parking, beach access and the adherence of social distancing guidelines.
Please note, the Centennial Family Aquatics Center’s Pre-Season Pool Hours have been canceled. We are evaluating the options for opening the pools for the 2020 Season and will communicate the Wilmette Park District’s decision by mid-June once we have a plan in place.
We will continuously evaluate the situation and inform the community of any decisions made. We recognize the seriousness of the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in our community. We urge all residents to follow the Center for Disease Control’s tips by staying home if sick; avoiding close contact with people who are sick; covering coughs and sneezes; avoiding touching eyes, nose and mouth; and washing hands with soap and water. For more information and recommendations, go to:
- Cook County Department of Public Health
- Illinois Department of Public Health
- Center for Disease Control
- World Health Organization